Electromobility - Sensors And Controls
As electromobility gains more and more importance, we too want to be actively involved and support our customers at this environmentally friendly alternative to conventional vehicles. We offer solutions for electro and hybrid vehicles according to customer specific application.
More than 30 years of experience – proven partner for Sensing and Power Electronic in Automotive Industry
- Robust, proven sensors (dedicated to automotive market)
- Excellent market accessability
- High competence in system integration
- High flexibility and versatile sensing technologies
- Experienced in E-mobility
Sensors from KYOCERA AVX monitor, among other things, linear paths and the characteristics of battery cells. In modern vehicles, position sensors support the fast and precise matching of the perception of the camera and radar systems to the actual state of the vehicle. KYOCERA AVX has a broad technology portfolio and through a close network with the semiconductor industry as well as various research centers is always at the cutting edge to meet the dynamic requirements of the market.
We equip our products with efficient, power saving technology and add micropower ICs or even passive components for wake-up functions with special consumption requirements. Using innovative manufacturing processes, we produce robust but slim and thus lightweight solutions with weight-optimized design. We find the right package for current needs and are at your side as a trend-setting consultant for future applications.
Position sensors on the brake pedals enable fast and accurate detection of the braking intention. A light application of the brake decelerates the vehicle by generating charging current via the driveline instead of activating the mechanical brakes. This extends the vehicle range and protects the environment.
- Channel: 2
- Linearity: +/-1%
- Sealing: IP6K9K
- Output signals: Analog, PWM, PSI5, Sent
- Temperature range: -40 °C to + 80 °C
- ASIL: B
Mechanical condition monitoring of the battery cells: Depending on the type deployed (prismatic, cylindrical, cushion), battery cells are subject to different deformations during charging and discharging cycles. Our inductive approach to battery monitoring provides non-contact reliable information about the current state of deformation, and serves as a reference for battery ageing.
- Air gap Measurement: 4-10 mm range
- Resolution: 10 - 12 Bit
- ASIL: B(D)
- Linearity error: < 0,125mm
Modern vehicles perceive their environment independently via camera and radar systems. The fast and precise comparison of this information with the actual condition of the vehicle reveals any need for action for a safe and comfortable journey. Our position sensors in a weight-optimized design continuously detect the chassis position, and provide the necessary information for assistance systems. This is indispensable, especially for autonomous driving.
- Linearity: +/-1%
- Sealing: IP6K9K
- Output signals: Analog, PWM, PSI5, SENT
- Temperature range: -40 °C to +125 °C
- ASIL: B
» More information about our position sensors
The accelerator pedal is a key direct interface between the vehicle and its user. In a very special way, it conveys the brand promise of the vehicle manufacturer.
The design of the accelerator pedal provides another opportunity to deliver on the expectations of the brand. Accelerator pedals from KYOCERA AVX convey positive feelings of quality and safety - for a rewarding driving experience.
The technology in our active accelerator pedals supports the dynamic driving experience of electric and hybrid drives. Using haptic signals, they alert the driver to a change of drive mode from or to the combustion engine. At the same time, our mature products convey confidence and safety, supported by the cumulative experience of more than 20 years of development and production of electronic accelerator pedals.
Non-contacting: Hall, Autopad®
Special application: Haptic pedal
- Reduced weight with optimized temperature performance and low consumption
- Below 900 grams and is significantly below the total weight of comparable pedals
- Less than one watt power consumption for a switched-on actuator when drive changes from battery to combustion engine
- Power increase <12N
- No time limit for temperature range of -40 °C to 80 °C.
- Simple and compact design - extremely sturdy
- Information path without distraction
- Subliminal function produces intuitive reaction
» Here you can find fast fact sheets
Proven supports innovation: Temperature sensors from KYOCERA AVX optimally combine the requirements of new drive systems with tried and tested solutions, and have been designed to anticipate the versatile demands of alternative systems. Established base technologies, proven millions of times in real world conditions, reduce validation processes. They represent dependable components in a highly innovative environment characterised by many unknowns and test risks.
Temperature sensors from KYOCERA AVX determine temperature safely, quickly and precisely in liquid and gaseous media, e.g. water, oil, fuel, intake air and charge air. With more than 20 years of experience in temperature sensor development and production we are partner of well-known OEMs and system suppliers in the automotive industry.
Thermistor (NTC) • PTC (e.g. PT1000) • Thermocouple
- Screw-in, snap-in types
- In-line interfaces
- Direct-to-body measurement (e.g. e-motor)
- Integrated temperature-pressure sensor combination available
- Battery thermal management (e.g. coolant)
- Refrigerant temperature (HVAC)
- Direct-to-body (e.g. battery, motor – stator)
- Temp. range: -40 °C to +250 °C (in different steps)
- Accuracy: e.g., +/- 1 °C between -20 °C and 120 °C
- Response time: 1.5 to 5.0 sec (?90)
- Connector e.g 2-Pin MLK, customized (on request)
- Temperature sensors for cooling / heating of battery management systems
- Temperature and pressure sensors in thermo management modules
- Integrated temperature-pressure sensor combination available
- Battery packs: Direct-to-body measurement (battery cells) - PCB mounted
- Temperature control: Motor stator temperature (direct-to-body)
» More information about our temperature sensors
Pressure Sensors for Hybrid Electric Vehicles
New sealing concept offers high levels of safety and long term stability
A special pressure sensor designed for use at the fuel tank of hybrid-electric vehicles is the latest development from the specialists for ceramic pressure measuring cells - KYOCERA AVX. The new pressure sensor features very high measuring accuracy over its life time, and satisfies the specific and demanding requirements of modern hybrid-electric vehicles particularly closely.
At the core of the new pressure sensor is a fully ceramic pressure measuring cell with integrated pressure connection. The sensor is mounted in a compact two-part housing. Next to the pressure measuring cell are the circuit board for signal conditioning and the electrical connection. Sealing against the installation point can be made with either one or two O-rings, depending on the medium and tightness requirements. Different O-ring materials can also be combined to allow compatibility with different media or aggregate states at the same time. Thanks to its optimal use of space, this new pressure sensor is only slightly taller than a MEMS pressure sensor for a comparable pressure range.
KYOCERA AVX’s in-house ceramic processing capability has enabled a rapid and flexible design of the pressure connection in terms of diameter and sealing concept, for individual adaptation to customer requirements. The preferably digital interface can also be quickly varied in its design.
"This new sensor opens up a very wide field of applications in the sophisticated low pressure range for sensors of this type" says Frank Rothe, specialist for pressure, temperature and liquid quality sensors at KYOCERA AVX.
Last generation pressure sensors are absolutely solid and have excellent long-live characteristics. They win by their modular-building-concept and can easily be integrated into customer systems.
KYOCERA AVX offers a great number of innovative and robust solutions for measuring pressure in different media. Due to flexible configurations, our pressure sensor modules can easily be integrated into customer-specific systems.
Particularly the requirements in high-performance gearbox applications necessitate permanent monitoring of different media. Cost-optimized solutions with high vibration resistance are in great demand and a wide range of basic technologies enables us to optimally adjust the sensor characteristics to the respective customer application.
- Thick film technology
- Semiconductor measuring cell (MEMS)
- Piezo resistive measurement
- Ceramic measuring cell
- Measurement of different media
- Integrated temperature measurement
- Connectors according to customer specification
- Car, Truck + offroad applications such as engine, retarder
- SCR system (AdBlue® / DEF)
- Exhaust gas system / Diesel particulate filter
- Differential pressure sensor
- Transmission, Coolant, Combined pressure & temperature sensor for fuel
- Pressure range: 0 - 0.5 bar to 0 - 60 bar
- Temperature range: -40 °C to + 125 °C
- Range of connector types
- Output signals: ratiometric 0.5 V – 4.5 V, SENT, PWM, CAN BUS
- Accuracy up to 1 %
- Pressure sensors for cooling / heating of battery management systems
- Integrated temperature-pressure sensor combination for fuel tank
- Integrated temperature-pressure sensor combination for gases
An inductive high speed rotor position sensor (SPINpad sensor)
A combination of high accuracy and fast response time is required for rotor position sensors in the electric motors of hybrid or electric vehicles. This allows the control unit to drive the motor optimally, and leads to a reduction in energy consumption and an increased range of the vehicle.
KYOCERA AVX has developed a new high speed position sensor to meet these requirements. First prototypes of this new sensor have demonstrated market leading performance. This technology can be used in other applications where accuracy and response times are critical (for example, electric power steering), and is also capable of making an additional velocity measurement, which could be used in active suspension systems.
The basic structure of the SPINpad sensor is similar to KYOCERA AVX‘s mature and proven Autopad® technology. However, the SPINpad sensor uses one coil as a transmit coil and two coils as receive coils.
- High speed accurate sensing of the rotor position in electric and hybrid vehicles motors
- Electric Power Steering
- Electric Motor traction drive
- Active suspension systems
- Flexible designs, can be matched to motor pole-pairs giving positional accuracy < 0.5deg electrical
- Different targets available
- Signal immediately after power on
- High speed up to 100,000 rpm
- Ready for ASIL C (D) or with redundant measurement ASIL D (D)
- Immune to low frequency magnetic fields
- Small package size, flat design
- Temperature range: -40 °C to 160 °C
The customer specific inverter for electric drives contains the required hard and software components for controlling the synchronous engine as well as the control of the complete vehicle. An integrated DC/DC converter supplies the 12V vehicle system voltage for light, water pump, E-Gas reporting, dashboard etc.. The heat reduction of the power stage is done via water cooling system.
This customer specific inverter was developed for an all-electric motorcycle.
- Thermal management at 0.1 K/W
- Scalable power stage
- Project handling and integration of hard- and software according to ISO26262 ASIL-C level
- Specific power density: 11.7 kW/kg
Application specific data
- Voltage range: 200 V - 303 V
- Continuous current: 39.4 Aeff
- Peak current: 137.9 Aeff
- Rotation speed: max. 6,600 rpm
- Lifetime: 1,000 h / 10 years
» On a nutshell - fast fact sheet
This customer specific module includes two complete B6 IGBT bridges, the driver circuit and controller board. The highly integrated module provides protection from over temperature, over current and over voltage. The IGBT bridges with a low inductance layout are printed on ceramic substrates using the latest IGBT technology.
Development for an in-wheel-drive-system integrated in a 18 inch wheel rim.
During the start/stop-mode this customer specific developed electronic power switch for hybrid vehicles disconnects the start battery from the support battery of the power circuit.
- Switching of maximum start and battery current
- Same packaging volume as an equivalent mechanical relay
- Absolutely noiseless switching
- Over 300,000 active cycles possible
The battery switch enables fast, safe and noiseless disconnection off from high-power batteries for electric vehicles.
- Solid aluminium metal substrate for ultralow 0.22 K/W thermal resistance
- Integration of 8 x 100 V MOSFETs (2 x 4 in antiserial configuration for bidirectional switching capability) with total resistance < 0.8 mΩ
- Up to 900 A transient peak current for one second
- 28 K temperature rise for 300 A
» Read more about the technology background in the latest article published on all-electronics.de
Temperature. Pressure. Level. Quality. Speed. Position. Sensors, Pedals and Control Units from KYOCERA AVX reliably determine and control customer-specific applications with high accuracy.
Pioneering innovative future mobility
Key technologies from KYOCERA AVX offer ideal design possibilities for customer-specific designs.